Monday, August 22, 2011

8/22 The day at Chetty Parnyum





Today was wonderful. I went to Chetty Parnyum to work with the leprosy patients. We told life stories on the way there. I have a great deal of respect for these wonderful people that I serve with. They're such great examples.We arrived at the colony and I was immediately embraced in the love of the people. Maria hugged each of us. I was introduced to another woman whose name has slipped me but my heart ached for her. She was in a great deal of pain and I felt so helpless. She could hardly walk and it hurt her to eat. We helped her lie down and as Lyndee and Halee left, I kissed her hands and could see the light that filled her eyes. She was so tender. I then went over to help set up the medical needs for the patients. Oh and I got to go to the restroom in the dirt. I felt pretty hard core. Haha, anyway we were set up and I was taught how to wrap the patients ulcers with the bandages. I felt very inadequate but very grateful to have some help. The patient's love is simply incredible. They are all so grateful and bring healing to the soul. I only wish that I could bring healing to their infirmities. I thought of the incredible miracle it was when Christ healed the lepers. Oh the joy they must have felt. I was most touched by my last patient, Lukewanti. She's pictured here on the right. Because my station was one of the final one's, everyone was packing all the medical equipment while I finished wrapping her foot. After I finished I kissed hands, saying namaste (meaning I can see divinity within you). She laid her hands on my head and prayed for me. She then collapsed at my feet and we embraced for about a minute. I was in shambles as you can see from this lovely picture. We walked back together hand in hand to get washed up. She is so beautiful.

After getting home and taking a quick snooze we headed over to play time with the kids. I went over to play time. Chrisraj came running full speed into my arms. He's such a neat kid. I held him for a long time as he laid his head on my shoulder. I was also embraced by Ruthish, Vicky, and Ranjeet. They're just the neatest, most loving boys. We played telephone for a little while, hide and go seek, and then played Mother may I. Ruthish's smile gets to me every time. I just love that kid! Sathya called me over while I was playing with them looking very blue. I went over to try to comfort her but she was silent and didn't want to talk to me. I felt helpless and wasn't sure how to help. I don't think I've been spending as much time with her as she would like so I'll step it up. There are just so many kids and it's hard to make everyone happy.

Some of the older kids here have seminary every day. I went with them for about ten minutes before dinner. These kid's testimonies are so strong and their motives are so pure. They have no outside pressure to go to seminary and read their scriptures other than their love for the Savior. It was amazing.

On the way to family time I had a really nice conversation with Halee, my roommate, who is just incredible. She is the sweetest girl who is so good at looking out for the one. We talked about the pure love of Christ that is within each of the patient's that we work with.

At family time, we had the girls write things about each other in order to put up a little bio for those who are interested in sponsoring them. They loved being able to write nice things about each other. Sathya still seemed upset with me but as I wrote down nice things about her, she started softening up. We spent time together throughout the evening and I enjoyed the time we spent. As I left Sathya's room to leave for the night, I came out and our house mother was crying along with many of the girls. She has lived with these girls for a year and a half and is getting married in a week. She doesn't even want to get married to him and is so distraught about leaving these beautiful children who she has cherished as her own. The girls are also so torn apart about it as she has become their mother in the past while. It was heart wrenching. Two men from the program came in to give her a blessing. It was really touching and I just love the spirit that is here. It is so calming and so full of love.



1 comment:

  1. Kelsey, I love your stories! You are doing a wonderful job and are just so loving. love you!- love tasha

    ReplyDelete