Sunday, August 21, 2011

8/19-8/20: "Super Dope" Weekend






Just a quick update for yesterday, most of the group has left for New Dehli and I've stayed behind. I tutored the kids yesterday which was a lot of fun. I worked with a boy named Basha who tested me quite a bit though. He refused to do his work and just sat there entirely zoned out. He wouldn't make eye contact with me or anything. I was encouraging him and trying to push him along but he wouldn't budge. So we botched the assignment and we read a story together. It turned out to be a great time and was a good learning experience for me.
I'm learning a great deal while here in India and I know the Lord is caring so much for me and is testing me in ways that will help me to grow stronger. The challenge of course is uphold a positive and happy attitude throughout. But of course, there is so much joy around as soon as I take a moment to slow down.
I've come to realize the extreme importance of being in the moment and appreciating every moment here. It's crucial. I get lost so easily in my own little world and miss everything that's happening around me. I think that's why I was struggling so much yesterday and this morning. But I went and got a back massage today at the beach, ha first ever!, and was able to refocus everything as I meditated a bit. Then I reread a talk tonight by President Eyring called the gift of giving and it's a super talk. That helped me refocus quite a bit too and to realign my motives. I learned that by striving to feel and understand the children, giving freely with no hesitation or drudgery, and considering the sacrifice made to be a bargain in comparison to the joy that will be recieved, I will be able to give to these kids the greatest gifts of love. It's definitely a process of casting out the natural man that I am learning every day. That aspect is far harder than I imagined. However, it is very beneficial and is a wonderful setting to help me learn more fully as to how I can be more aware of others.
Yesterday at play time, I got to play with a bat and soocer ball with Ranjeet. He's adorable. We had a really great time. Then I played hide and seek with Sathya and Ranjeet and a zillion other kids ended up joining. The kids just find some of the things I do absolutely hilarious. We ran behind the school which is basically quiet wilderness so I was a little afraid of the potential wildlife that I could run into. We ran over by the dumpster. I heard a loud animal noise, screamed, and ran. The kids came running after me in laughter exclaiming, "Aunty aunty! It was a goat!" Haha, all the kids got a huge kick out of it. I'll admit, it was pretty funny. I had a blast with the kids.
Today! We had a relaxing and super fun day at Mallalapuram, a tourist town and the beach at the bay of Bengal. The beach was gorgeous and the people were that sold to us were really friendly. One of the men was hitting on Lyndee. She and I left the store before our other friends and he said, "You tell your friend to come back ya? I think we can work something out?"
Anyway, we picked up so many neat things while we went shopping. It was a blast. We haggled a ton and got some pretty good deals. I just really enjoyed talking to the people. There were a few beggars who my heart went out to. While I was there, my foot swept through a nice pile of cow dung. I just laughed and laughed and took a picture. When we were looking at our pictures. Lyndee exclaimed, "Kelsey Schaat!" Pretty funny.
The indian ocean is super warm compared to the oceans. I didn't spend much time in the ocean though because I didn't have my swimsuit. Lame. But I got wet enough and enjoyed the sand...then went and got a super cheap back massage as mentioned. It was more like a back rub and would have rather just spent more time on the ocean. But, it was great nonetheless. We had a great time.
So one of the volunteers, Devin, who is awesome. He is constantly saying dope. Ha one of the volunteers said, "What isn't dope to Devin". Ha then we started talking about the kids at the school. They're always saying super! Your hair so super. Your eyes are so super. Your smile is so super. So we started all saying super dope in an Indian accent. It was way funny.
We came back and I went to movie night. I was slightly late but got spend time with Sathya. She's a truly beautiful girl. She said she was going to come to church with me tomorrow. I asked her if she was a member but said that she was Hindu. However, she's been attending the LDS church for years now just about every week. She said that she just has more to understand as I would assume it to be very different from the Hindu religion. She's also still very young and I don't know that she feels a great deal of pressure to convert. All in due time. I'm glad that she enjoys going to church and is willing to accept new truths.
Anyway, it's been a great day. I'm grateful for the insights and peace that the Lord has granted. I'm so blessed.
I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment