Friday, August 19, 2011

8/17 Education

I spent the morning and afternoon tutoring. We read books and I helped them with math. Every twenty minutes we rotated the group of kids. It was tough simply because they quickly lose focus, especially with the reading, but we stick a few games in there to keep up the motivation. I loved working with Satihsh. He was a really hard worker throughout the reading portion and was phenomenal at math. He was just a really happy little guy.

I also ate lunch with the kids. Sathya asked if I would sit by her and of course agreed…making all the other kids somewhat upset. In fact, a girl named Jennifer won’t talk to me because of it. Ha, kids are quick to forgive so hopefully we’ll be on good terms by tonight. I ate the rice and curry with my hands that being the the Indian culture. The kids were trying to teach me how to shovel it into my mouth so that I didn’t have to tilt my head back but I kind of struggled. I never knew it was such an art to eat with your hands.

For playtime with the kids I chilled with my family group and played hand games with them. It was raining so we couldn’t play outside. Sathya told me stories about her life and the one on one time I spent with her was probably my hi-light.

At dinner we time we all share our highs and lows for the day. We didn’t do it yesterday because we couldn’t talk over the sound of the thunder so I shared a little experience about the colony. I started crying…of course. Expressing the experience to them re-emphasized the Lord’s hand in my lifme.

After dinner we went to spend time with our families and I got to show them pictures of my family. They loved it, especially my nieces and nephews. We played some group games together and ended the night by singing hymns to them to put them to sleep. It was a really sweet experience of pure bliss.

I love being here and feel surrounded by love, especially as I take a moment to slow down. I feel as though I’ve been here for a very long time, but am also astounded by the fact that it’s already Wednesday!

The volunteers I work with are awesome! They are so full of life and love. I look up to each of them in one way or another.

I’m grateful for this time of year, the nights are always cooled off with a torrential lightning storm because of monsoon season approaching.

Anyway, I love it here! It’s so great to be engulfed in a world of selflessness and acceptance.

No comments:

Post a Comment