Friday, August 19, 2011

8/16 1st day at the leprosy colony!




I went to the colonies today and was surrounded by nothing but love and pure joy. I got to wash their feet! It was incredible. As I was rubbing one of the patient's ulcers, he pointed to between his toes. I had missed an ulcer and as soon as I rubbed it, he sighed in relief. I looked up at him and smiled and there was just so much love in his eyes. There are no words to describe how I felt. They are truly the most beautiful people I’ve ever seen. Once you look into their eyes, their physical ailments that are easily overlooked as a side note and can only see the radiating love and gratitude within.
An insight that I had...actually a few days after this (sorry all my posts are late. The internet has been down) was concerning the Christ-like nature of these leprosy patients. President Bednar spoke about the character of Christ and emphasized the fact that Christ served those who were suffering but their suffering was often far less than that of his own. Yet, His love for them was so great that He forgot Himself and healed them with no thought of His own anguish. I compare such love to these patients. Their love and humility is healing to the wounded soul, and yet their conditions are far worse than my own. Ha, not really even comparable. They're incredible peopl
e.

I was also blessed with a great deal of energy and insights as to how I can improve my service throughout the day. Lose yourself that ye may find yourself. So, I’m focusing more on how I can release the joy of other children.

We were planning on going to a festival in the evening but the crazy rainstorm got in the way. We ended up having a pole hugging contest. Ha, I lost against the girl I competed with, but still lasted three minutes. I was satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment